Wahey, I’m on a roll – three weeks of weighing myself is such a positive step for me – I’m not obsessing about what I weigh OR about what I eat – although I am sensible and trying to adopt the, ‘everything in moderation’, attitude. I’m also learning that to do this and be honest I need to step on those scales EVERY SINGLE WEEK.
Previously, in years gone by, if I had a bad week I would skip whatever slimming club I was then attending and, say I’d make up for it the week after – some of the time I did go back the week after but then other weeks I would skip the week after – and the week after that too.
To enable me to find the right path where I could move forward with my eating and lifestyle habits I started to research eating disorders and more specifically, binge eating. A key point was to be honest when it came to weighing yourself – if you knew that you had a bad week, you still had to weigh yourself, so you could see the end result of your week.
So, that’s what I know I need to do – weigh myself without fail. Some weeks may be shit but that doesn’t mean every other week has to be like that, does it?
Another key point was emotional eating. I eat if I am happy, of course – but food was basically my drug, when times were hard. If I was sad or angry food became my only friend – and if I tried to resist MY BRAIN JUST GOT LOUDER AND LOUDER – until I gave in.
There were other points of research in regard to binge eating/self help/CBT that I wanted to share with you today, but the information I thought I’d saved isn’t available – if I manage to find it I will update this post.
Now I have mangaged to identify certain factors I do believe I am improving. I don’t always reach for food but I do allow us to have some kind of dessert on Friday and Saturday night. The one hardship in that can be getting back on he wagon so to speak. Sometimes, I just want to continue eating crap – but I know that if I continue I won’t be able to stop myself.
Anyway, I am jabbering on when I need to write down my weigh in results!
Last week I weighed 13 stone 3lbs and this week I am….
13 stone 1 pound!
I’m very happy right now – and can’t wait for those scales to start showing me in the 12 stone range.
Did I hit all my other weekly goals?
- Go to the gym 3 times (Either being weights/cardio/swimming) YES – four times and I have actually been able to run again! Ok, it’s a slow very pace but it’s a start! My weight had really been the biggest struggle for me when running and then I also tore my calf muscle earlier in the year. OUCH. So, this week I tried and ran for various times – 17 minutes being the most and ten the least.
- Walk the dog 3 times YES – four or five times!
- To pick up my book and read for at least 10 minutes a day YES – finished my current book.
- Aim to do a little of my current crochet project everyday, even if it’s just for a few minutes. YES – but only a little
- Practise Mindfulness at least once – using the Headspace app YES – once
- Cook tea at least twice Only once – but I am the only driver in our family and ferry my daughter to art club abbd guitar lessons on the evenings so my husband cooks then. I’ve also started 777777
- Aim to write a little of your YA novel at least once NO 😦
- Carry out an act of kindness for my husband – sometimes life just gets in the way of romance etc – so I want to show him that he is so very much appreciated. I didn’t carry out what I hoped but did take him out as a surprise for Father’s Day and treated him to a full English breakfast and then we went to a lovely nature reserve and paddled across a stream. I really was bliss.
- Play board games at least twice with my teenage daughter. YES – played games on 3 separate nights
- Talk to my doctor on Tuesday about coming off Depakote. She knows it is something I have been hoping to do for a while and we have been carefully lowering my dosage. YES – I had been gradually lowering them over the last few months and was on 250mg once a day. I have now started coming off Depakote and, until Sunday I am taking one every other day. Then when Sunday comes I can stop taking them. However, I have to say I am PETRIFIED that I am going to have a fit as that is a severe side effect. I am worried my dose isn’t low enough to straight off even though my doctor has said it is. And, we don’t seem to be able to get a lower dose in the UK – or at least in my region.
Plan for the week going forward:
- PRIORITY: Aim to write a little of your YA novel at least once
- PRIORITY: Carry out an act of kindness for my husband – sometimes life just gets in the way of romance etc – so I want to show him that he is so very much appreciated.
- PRIORITY: Spend some quality one on one time with my daughter at least twice – whether that’s going out somewhere or doing something together.
- Not to dwell on what may or may not happen in the future. Focus on NOW. Enjoy the present moment.
- Acknowledge that this week may be hard due to coming off Depakote. The side effects are already kicking in. Stomach cramps, diarrhoea, feelings that a cold liquid is running down my face and pins and needles in my cheeks. Oh – and the lovely irritability.
- Crochet a heart and leave it for a stranger to find.
- Go to the gym 3 times (Either being weights/cardio/swimming)
- Walk the dog 3 times
- Start a new book
- Aim to do a little of my current crochet project everyday, even if it’s just for a few minutes.
- Practise Mindfulness at least once – using the Headspace app
- Cook tea at least once
Any new ideas for things I could do that you think may be beneficial for me to add?
Wish me luck!